For this week’s installment of our artist interview series 5Q, we sat down with LA’s sultry, dance-pop princess, Emii! From her collaboration with rap icon, Snoop Dogg, to her multi-million view music videos on YouTube, Emii is quickly rising up through the ranks to the top of the dance charts. As her latest single, “Time To Move On,” makes the rounds on MTV and major press outlets, expect big things in 2013 from Emii.
1) For anyone just discovering your music, how would you describe your overall sound?
An upbeat blend of soulful pop/dance!
2) Your new single, “Time To Move On" (released today), has been described as a "sugary-sweet, synthed-out pop tune." What was the inspiration for this track? Take us through your approach to songwriting.
Sometimes we all need a little push to move on from the bad situations we get stuck in. I was inspired by my own past experiences as well as the experiences of close friends, so I had to get the message out through my music. Never settle for less than you deserve!
3) On your previous record, Snoop Dogg (aka Snoop Lion) made a cameo appearance in the song and music video for “Mr. Romeo.” What was it like working with such a legendary music icon?
Snoop was amazing to work with and he’s definitely one of the coolest cats in the music biz. I’m incredibly thankful for that experience and I look forward to future collaborations.
4) Your song “Time To Move On" just premiered on MTV. That’s got to be pretty exciting! How has this exposure impacted your music career?
I AM excited! It was incredible exposure for the new single and it’s definitely the best way to kick off the new release. I have a lot of great things in the works and I can’t wait to share them with everyone!
5) Last question, will you be touring any time in the near future and if so, where will fans be able to catch a glimpse of your live performance?
Absolutely! I am working on the details now, but NYC is looking like my first stop on the list. Check Emii.net for updates as my team will be posting events soon!